Massage Gun Therapy for Muscle Recovery
Whether you’re a runner, a college athlete, or you perform at the professional level, you give it your all, every time. Unfortunately, sometimes giving your all means damaging the very muscles that power your performance. Recovering from serious physical exertion, whether that’s a football match or a marathon, often means unwanted downtime coupled with pain, stiffness, limited range of motion, and other problems that might keep you off your feet for an extended period of time.
The good news is that there is help available. Massage Gun therapy offers a broad range of benefits in terms of muscle recovery, allowing you to be faster, stronger, and deliver better performance than ever before.
Below, we’ll walk you through what massage gun therapy is, how it works, and how it is able to deliver a powerful, fast recovery for tired, damaged muscle tissue.
What Is Massage Gun Therapy?
The S2 Massage gun is a portable handheld device that penetrates affected areas of pain with percussion therapy. This action comes in varying speeds to soften muscle tissue repairing knots, cramps and stiffness. Designed with a 24V motor this high-powered massage gun with 13mm amplitude percussion therapy. This means you can experience deeper muscle and tissue penetration during your massage to accelerate muscle fiber repair and the release of lactic acid build-up.
How Does Massage Therapy Work?
Massage therapy is applied directly to the area where you’re experiencing pain, tightness, stiffness, or other problems. For athletes, this is usually within the muscle tissue itself. However, this therapy can also be used to treat soft tissues, fascia, tendons and ligaments, nerves, and even scar tissue. It works like this:
- A massage gun is brought into contact with the affected area.
- The massager stimulates the area very rapidly – so fast that the brain does not register discomfort.
- The head of the massager is shaped to allow you to apply significant pressure (if necessary) and get deeper into the muscle tissue than is possible with bare hands, even those of a trained massage therapist.
- The rapid percussive motion desensitises the tissue around the area being treated, meaning that you only experience relief.
- Even just 30 seconds of treatment with a percussion massager can have powerful restorative benefits for muscle and other tissue
How Does Massage Gun Therapy Affect Muscle Recovery?
Athletes who push themselves to their limits and beyond face significant challenges during recovery. The most common issue is DOMS, or delayed onset muscle soreness. When you overexert yourself and then feel stiff and sore for days afterward, you’re experiencing DOMS. It’s common for everyone but it’s particularly problematic for those who may just be getting started with physical activity, and those who push themselves past their limits, such as in a competitive sport or similar environment.
DOMS present several challenges for athletes, whether you’re a pro or just running 3 days a week to lose weight and improve your health. These include the following:
- Pain and Soreness are unpleasant at best, but they can be serious enough that you limit your physical activity until the effects begin to fade. For those just getting started on a weight loss or health journey, that can be devastating. For athletes who don’t have the option of extended downtime, it means ignoring pain signals and pushing themselves beyond their limits, often to the point of causing themselves a serious injury.
- Stiffness is more than just an uncomfortable feeling. It’s a limitation on your physical capabilities. A stiff muscle is tight and does not stretch as far as it should. That means your range of motion is limited, which affects everything from your enjoyment of an activity to your ability to perform an activity in the first place. For instance, if a runner’s thigh muscles become stiff and store, the mobility will be limited. That shortens their stride and forces them to favour the injured leg, which puts additional stress on the uninjured leg, compounding the situation.
Thankfully, massage gun therapy can address DOMS and help you move forward by ending pain and discomfort, eliminating stiffness, and speeding muscle recovery. Here’s how it does that:
- Increased Blood Flow: Blood is vital for muscles, but not for the reason that many people assume. Your bloodstream carries vital nutrients and minerals that power muscle activity. It carries oxygen necessary for tissue health and growth. It carries away waste material that would otherwise become toxic. Percussion therapy dramatically increases blood flow to the affected area, ensuring that the damaged tissues have access to the oxygen and nutrients necessary.
- Rapid Healing: Percussion therapy speeds the healing of damaged tissue, including muscle, but also connective tissue, soft tissue, and even fascia. Faster healing means less down time, reduced pain and stiffness. In short, you’re able to get back up and going in a shorter amount of time, without the pain and limited mobility that would hamper your performance and lead to further injury.
- Increased Range of Movement: Because percussion therapy is able to relieve stiffness, your range of movement increases. In fact, you may find that after a treatment, you actually have a greater range of motion than normal. This is because in addition to alleviating stiff joints and muscle tissue, percussive therapy can also elongate tissues and soften them, allowing you to ramp up your performance on the field.
- Breaking Down Problem Areas: Percussion therapy is an ideal treatment option for those with tight scar tissue after an injury or surgery, as well as for those struggling with thickened connective tissue and fascia, adhesions, and other problems. A percussion massager is able to break down this tissue, reducing discomfort and tightness, increasing range of motion, and improving your ability to perform.
- Improved Lymphatic System Performance: The body’s lymph system does a vital job. It’s responsible for ridding the body of toxins, waste, and other unwanted material. However, the system lacks power of its own. There is no heart to pump fluid through the lymph system. Instead, it’s powered by muscle movement. However, blockages can cause build-ups of toxic material in your body. Percussion therapy improves the performance of your lymphatic system, speeds the elimination of toxins and waste, and improves overall health.
Modalities of Treatment: How to Get Massage Gun Therapy
Obviously, massage gun therapy offers some serious benefits. Whether you’re a weekend warrior, a fitness enthusiast, or you’re pushing your performance in amateur or professional sports, it can deliver the recovery benefits you need to reduce pain and perform better. There are two treatment modalities on offer.
One is to work with a licensed massage therapist, which is a great option. This allows to not only address pain and stiffness, but also to speak with an expert who understands how muscle groups and other tissues work together.
Your second option is to augment your massage therapy sessions with a high-quality percussion massager. Our S2 massage gun is proven to offer even deeper penetration than is possible with your hands, and allows you to take percussion therapy anywhere, from the home to the gym and to the field. The Solbasium Massage Gun fuses cutting-edge technology with an ergonomic design, resulting in an industry-leading solution to improve performance, speed healing, and boost recovery.